Upcoming SoCal Meet-n-Greets!

Upcoming SoCal Meet-n-Greets!

Born and raised in SoCal, but never saw Grauman’s Chinese Theatre before last week, with my awesome friend Jeanine.
Here I am holding Atticus Finch’s hand <3

Hey guys!  It’s last second, I know, but if you’re in SoCal, I’ll be giving a speechy-thingy tomorrow at Casa Youth Shelter’s 10th Annual Teen Summit!  It’s open to the public, although Casa prefers that if you choose to attend, you RSVP (more info on the Facebook page for the event here).  The summit begins at 9:15 a.m. and I’ll be speaking from around 11:30 a.m. – noon.

Casa is really great – They do a lot of homeless outreach and I’ve volunteered with them a few times handing out clothes/food/water to the homeless population here in Santa Ana that hangs around the Orange County Courthouse.  They totally deserve so much support and recognition.

Also, if you come to Los Al tomorrow, I can guarantee you that the Pasty Kitchen on Katella, a mile away from the event, serves the absolute best food (pasties!) you will ever taste – I grew up going there.  It’s this tiny little hole-in-the-wall family-owned place that’s a Los Al institution and is effing DELICIOUS.  It’s actually my favorite food of all time, even better than pizza.  I recommend the chicken pasty, but they also have beef and vegetarian, plus some dessert-y type stuff.  Honestly, the main reason I decided to do this event was to have an excuse to go stock up on a few pastys for the next few days (just kidding!  Sort of.  But in all seriousness, it’s super-tasty.  Try it, you’ll like it.)

Otherwise, SoCal-ites will also get a chance to swing by and say hi at the La Habra Public Library on August 19th at 2:30 p.m., where I’ll be doing a reading/Q&A!  Bring your copy and I’d be happy to sign it  :)

Lastly, I apologize profusely for the bunch of gobbledygook code or whatever at the top of my site’s pages right now…I’m as baffled as you likely are, but I’m working on figuring out what the problem is and getting it resolved quickly.  In the meantime – so sorry!  :(

Update:  Said gobbledygook code was actually caused via changes by my host server, which have now been rectified.  Whew!  So glad…that was driving me bonkers.

Comments

1. Brianna, pleeeease! Girl – I’m your biggest fan! Get your tail back to New York City for a speechy-thingy!

• Brianna says:

I would LOVE to! It’s hard to think of a place I adore visiting more than NYC. Know anyone out there who wants to book me? If they ask me to come do a speech/reading/signing (or, you know, be on The Daily Show and meet Jon Stewart), I’ll be there with bells on! ;)

2. Janeen says:

I have been reading your book that I bought on Google play books. I can’t put it down. I am probably your Mothers age or older and have children of my own in their 20′s. I have such compassion for all that you’ve gone through in your life. What I really appreciate about your book is your honesty to tell your story. So much of what is written today is fantasy (i.e.- rich guy saves the day & the girl, blah, blah, blah & she becomes a Kardashian type millionaress!) We truly are living through a terrible recession & it’s about time someone wrote a book about what that means to a young American. . I’m only on chapter 7, so I don’t know what’s coming up for you. There are so many myths about the homeless & the poor. Your book hammers away at those awful myths so well. I send you my blessings and well wishes.

3. Dianna Marie Gloria says:

I just finished your book. wow,….i am so sorry for everything you have been through. I am so sorry for that crazy experience with that jerk in Scotland. You truly have overcome so much and you still stand. Your evolution has been amazing, you are divine and you light up the world with your positivity. I am an ex-jehovah witness as well. I knew something was wrong when i was 15 when i wasn’t allowed to do sports. I have been on a spiritual journey now for 3 years. I have gained my power back and feel so free. I wrote a book about my journey like you. I named it Sacred Quest. As i was writing this book i stumbled across your newspaper article in Orange County Register, May 22, 2011. Kudos to you, you are awesome and amazing. Congratulations on everything and i send you love & light, Namaste,
    from the Central Coast of California
    dianna gloria

4. Jake says:

Hi Brianna,

Nice cleavage shot!

I wish you wouldn’t dress so conservative because you have curves in ALL the right places!

Thanks.

Jake

5. madison says:

hi Brianna, my names madison and i would just like to say that im reading your book and it is soooo good right now my brother is homeless and is abusing drugs and I just want to say that from reading this I kinda know what hes going through but then again i don’t. As of right now me and him are not in speaking terms and when we are in each others presence we can’t stand each other and I can’t live with him I’m one of those people who get out there emotional shit by laughing about it or getting angry and like yesterday for instance he called me a fat cunt or whatever and i didn’t blow up on him for once and i just kept cool and responded to him with a comeback which probably hurt him… I feel bad but I know he wasn’t on drugs at that moment and hes always said this to me or always used the word fatty when refurring to me and today i just melted down and im a strong person and dont usually cry and from my mom calling me these things and i just want to say i can connect on the mom things but she wasn’t as bad as she was to you but words can hurt also im only at the beging of your book and i could connect to some thing and last summer my mom and i had to live in a hotel from quite some time and im kinda worried about this happening to me again because we live in a place now but we have to leave soon and i just want you to know i look up to you for finding a job and not looking down on yourself like most homeless people do like I feel bad for this but when people ask me why this random homeless guy said hi to me (my brother) i just say i used to know him but later if we become better friends i tell them the truth. But i just want to say i give you props for everything you’ve been through. And if you have any tips or anything but if you dont i get it.
    thanks,
    Madison

6. Mihawk says:

I just finished your book. I could not put it down either. I too had a brother who ended up homeless and addicted to alcohol and anything else or so I am told. He was living under a bridge with a girlfriend somewhere in L.A. while I lived my life here with my then husband and 4 kids oblivious to what he was going through.
    Apparently he lived in his car until someone torched it and then he was on his own. Unable to keep his job he did a lot of unsavory things to keep food in his belly and a drink close by.
    We had NO idea it was like this for him. What I did know was that he was an alcoholic and I could not expose my kids to it so I wouldn’t let him come to visit me unless he a greed to not drink while he was staying with me.

About a month later we got a call that he was in ICU in Hawthorne with a concussion. He fell off a bike while experiencing a seizure from DT’s and hit his head. Because he was “homeless” and a “transient” they drugged him up and gave him a prescription for anti-seizure medicine which he would have to catch a bus and go across town to some place that would fill it for free. As he signed his discharge papers he was so drugged up that he could only put an X on the line as a signature. They sent him on his way barely able to walk.

Michael crossed the street from Robert Kennedy hospital (I think thats the name) and asked a stranger if he could give him bus fare so he could get his prescription filled. A nice stranger gave him a dollar. He then had another much bigger seizure and fell to the ground cracking his already bruised skull as he went down. This time he did some serious injury. He now had a fractured skull.

The hospital though only yards away had an ambulance come and pick him up. He was due to have surgery to relieve the bleeding on the brain and pressure. However…..the dr. was late getting to the hospital and he coded before his surgery. it was scheduled for 7pm. the dr. got there after 9pm. I guess dinner was too important to leave for a loser like this guy in his mind.

We flew out to CA, my dad from CT and I from FL. Fought the state of CA law that they can pull the plug after 7 or 10 days if a person is uninsured and has no means to pay or some BS like that. We even found a dr. who was willing to come from Loma Londa for a second opinion of his so called brain death but the hospital refused to allow it.

Our lawyer said he was worth more to the hospital dead than if he lived and were a vegetable because they took so long to get around to his surgery. So….we took my brother home to CT in a casket compliments of the staff at RFK hospital and their belief that because this guy was homeless and on drugs or alcohol or whatever….that he was not contributing anything to society and therefore wasn’t worth anything if we sued them so they didn’t care.

We even were able to get a Senator to call the hospital along with a Beverly Hills attorney to try to buy us more time for that coveted second opinion and the hospital said, Sorry. Pulling the plug.

Prior to becoming homeless Mike was working and had a wife and son and two step daughters. How his life became what it did is a mystery to us. He came from a good Italian family. His parents were divorced. Mother was an alcoholic. Typical crap. I guess I was the one who didn’t turn to alcohol and drugs and he did . Idk. He was so smart. So kind. Such a tragic waste of life.

I just wanted to share my story. I guess my brother was the “homeless” person most people assume ALL homeless people are. drug addict, divorced, alcholic with no life. But he wasn’t always that way. Prior to learning t he kid of life he was living which we only found out once we got to CA, we thought the same thing most people think about homeless people. OH how shallow we humans can be!!!

I now look at them with compassion and pray when I see them. IF there is some way I can help I will and do. My heart aches for them. But your book, YOUR book opens our eyes to the world of homelessness and lost hope for thousands and thousands of americans and people all over the world. For the first time someone who is sober, educated and willing to work and has so much to offer doesn’t fit the preconceived notions we all have about these people who have been thrown out by no doing of their own in most cases to the harsh life on the streets.

THANK YOU for writing about your experiences. THANK YOU for a tool to educate people about something they no nothing about. Hopefully the people who are so quick to judge will have the guts to read this book and learn about the realities going on in their own back yards.

I am appalled that there is actually a company making money promoting the assholes who scam people out of their money in the false hope of achieving a loan modification for them with absolutely no intentions of doing it. HOW is it this can go on in AMERICA?? HOW does the gov’t. let them get away with this? I am so proud of you for quitting that job!!

I had a feeling the jerk in Scotland was going to turn out to be the total scumbag he is. I’m sorry though. Sorry you were hurt so badly and used in every way. I have no idea where your life has taken you up to this point but I pray that you are in a home by now and that your book and speaking engagements will help you to make that wonderful life for yourself that you so deserve.

I wish you love and happiness and a roof over your head with a/c in the summer and heat in the winter. God bless you and keep you. I hope you get the real prince charming. You deserve nothing less.

Michele

7. maria says:

hi! i come from greece and i read your story and i am amazed! you are so brave and you have confidence! keep trying you are a hero! you deserve to find whatever you wish for! best wishes!

8. Kinga says:

hi Briana.i come from Poland ,but i live in Germany. 2009 i was homeless. you are hero.

9. CK says:

Hi Brianna,
    I am visiting your blog after reading your book. I really enjoyed it and hope you are faring well these days. You have a gift for writing and I hope you are working on a follow-up memoir.

My dad was also homeless so I felt drawn to your story, particularly since he fell under all the stereotypes of many homeless folks: a drug abuser who made bad choices and alienated his family. When he died a few years ago, none of his family members (children, brother or mother) knew of his whereabouts. He could have easily contacted any of us, but chose not too.

Perhaps he felt shame for his past or addictions, or maybe he was OK with his transient status. He was also an Army vet so he may have been receiving services from the VA. Who knows. I have made some peace with his death and the way he chose to live, but still find myself struggling with the topic of homelessness and the causes. The stereotypes are all too easy for me to fall back on because of my personal experience with it.

So I am grateful for the new perspective I have on homelessness from reading your book. In reality, unless one has a wealthy family or a windfall, many working folks are all only a paycheck or two away from being homeless.

I also grew up in OC, and lived on my own right after high school. I remember how hard it was to survive, hold down a job, keep a roof over my head. So I could have easily lost my home with even a one month lapse in employment.

So thank you for your book. I know it generated a lot of controversy amongst reviewers who felt the need to judge and question the veracity of your incredible story. I for one am appreciative you had the courage to tell your story.