Happy Holidays!

Happy Holidays!

Image Credit: edmontonatheists.ca

I wish all of you guys and gals Seasons Greetings, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Festive Kwanzaa, Pleasant Winter Solstice, or whatever else you do/do not celebrate (dude, I’m just happy to have a few days off work to relax and unwind).  Mostly I just hope that your holiday is filled with happiness and joy and that you forget your troubles for a while  :)

I saw this excellent 60 Minutes story that I would like to share with you.  I loved how brave and articulate the homeless children profiled in this story are.  I hope they have a lovely holiday as well.  I read in an update that following the story, they were offered a full four-year scholarship and that Arielle Metzger wants to be a child-advocacy attorney when she grows up, so I have a feeling their luck is changing.  *Fingers crossed*  In summation, though, these kids kick ARSE.

Read the story and watch the segment here:  Hard Times Generation:  Families Living in Cars

Also, two tiny shameless plugs:

1)  The tGGtH book is coming out in Australia in January!!!  If you’re an Australian reader, look for me on Sunrise with Mel and Kochie on Monday, January 9th (via satellite).  I’m really excited because I’ve seen them on The Chaser’s War on Everything.  I will also be doing some print and radio.  I hope they send me to Oz one day.  I’ve never been, but I can already tell it would be one of my favorite places on Earth.  I want to swim with whale sharks and poke wombats with sticks and such things  ;)

2) Library Journal selected The Girl’s Guide to Homelessness as one of it’s Best Books of 2011, in the Memoir category.  I can’t tell you how honored and humbled I am to be listed among such a slew of brilliant and talented authors, especially Margaux Fragoso (whom I pretty much idolize and met at ALA when we shared time on a literary panel…she was kind enough to sign my copy of her book and put up with my wide-eyed author worship) and Andre Dubus III (whom I’ve never met, but come on, he wrote House of Sand and Fog! That’s pretty much all you gotta say, right?)  Read their books.  Seriously.  Doooooo it.

Have a wonderful holiday and the happiest of New Years, foks  :)

Comments

1. Simone Gable says:

I just finished the Girl’s Guide to Homelessness. WOW. I have a very picky taste of books, so when I picked this one up at the library after my parents dragged me there as part of our “family time,” I read the first few pages and took interest immediately. I was finishing it up whle Christmas shopping at the mall, dodging people as I was completely surrounded in my feelings for Matt. I swear, I thought my uncle was going to be the biggest a**hole I would ever meet until I read that. I hope you publish another book because I love your writing.

• Lynn Smith says:

So happy to see Girl’s Guide to Homelessness honored. I truly love that book.

• Chris Ritter says:

Wow! The human spirit can soar above almost any adversity! This book needs to be a #1 best seller, to benefit a global society. A compelling memoir of tradgedy, perserverence, endurance and sometimes triumphs.
        Brianna Karp is a gifted, natural smooth flowing writer. Who could forsee the tragic abandoment, and yet the multiple “”I will never”" were subtle hints. You go girl and thank you for the extraordinary gift.

2. Michelle says:

I have just finished reading The Girl’s Guide to Homelessness. I think you are amazing!

3. Sue says:

Just thought i would let you know your book is out in Melbourne Australia – got it the other day and basically couldn’t put it down until I had finished reading it. Keep up the fantastic work!

4. The courage and honesty of your book is inspiring, Brianna. If only everyone who experiences homelessness could recreate their lives as you have done! Good luck in the New Year!

5. Tiffany Brooks says:

I just finished your book…. I just want to say You are AWESOME!!! If it wasnt for family I would also be out on the streets.. I have 2 small children and would never be able to turn my situation around as you have … You are truly an inspiration. I could not put the book down until I finished it… My husband who has never read a book in his life is now reading it, he picked it up one day when i was abt halfway thro it and read a couple pages and waited patiently for me to finish it so he could start it.. I hope life gives you back all u deserve for being such an amazing person!

6. Vicky says:

My high school current-events-ish class watched this 60 Minutes episode before winter break. A lot of the kids in class made donations that Christmas :)

7. Jess says:

Just finished your book last night. Never heard of it before and randomly selected it from my local library. I loved it and found it very inspirational. Thank you for sharing your journey. :)