That's Life. If Nothing Else, It's Life…

Image credit: annie b., annieb-art.co.uk

…It’s real, and sometimes it fuckin’ hurts, but it’s sort of all we have.

~Garden State

Hello, loyal readers!  First a little Homeless News for you, then a brief glimpse into my personal life, as if anybody’s salivating over that, haha.

One story from each coast:

Rosa Bracero, a homeless high school student in New York, has finished all required credits a semester early and has been accepted to college.  However, the NY Department of Homeless Services required every member of the family to attend an hours-long shelter application process on the same day as her Regents exams.  The DHS would not allow the application to be rescheduled, nor for the family to attend without Rosa.  Rosa’s school allowed her to take a makeup exam, but the Board of Regents has now refused to validate the results even in the presence of clear extenuating circumstances, which means that Rosa will not be allowed to graduate.  Readers who would like to write to Mayor Bloomberg petitioning for Rosa Bracero to graduate can do so here.

An advocate for the homeless in Sacramento, Mark Merin, is suing the capital of California over a camping law he says is only enforced towards the homeless, depriving them of their rights to due process and equal protection.  Followers of the Sacramento saga may already be aware of the various tent cities, such as Safe Ground (featured on Oprah), which have sprung up in the city and been hastily disbanded or moved by law enforcement officers.

* * * * *

And now to take things in a little more personal direction:  I’m single again.

I suppose if there’s one thing in life every girl should have, it’s at least one “broken engagement” notch in her belt.  At some point, we all learn that not everyone is who they hold themselves out to be, and there’s nothing like observing a person in his natural habitat to make you realize that love doesn’t necessarily transcend all.  Not everything translates well across the ocean, life has never been and will never be a fairytale, and there are some people you can’t help.  That’s when it’s time to take a deep breath and save yourself.

No questions about it, please, although comfort dates with stunning hotties are always welcome (take a number, guys – I’m partial to intellectual types!)  What’s done is done, onward and upward.  Life is waiting and it’s going to be amazing!!!  I’m bursting with ideas and there’s so much more to think about than that person.  That’s all I have to say on the matter.

…At least until the book comes out  ;-)

Image Credit: Tony Piro, Calamities Of Nature

Comments

1. Sorry to hear that. :-( I kind of guessed it from the title of the post, not sure why, as it could have been a number of other things.

2. Julie H. says:

Well, sometimes better a broken engagement than a broken marriage. If nothing else, it’s way less paperwork and money.

Sorry you are going through that, long distance relationships are difficult at best. Here’s to better things to come.

3. Robyn says:

Sorry to hear about the broken engagement, Bri. But as difficult as it is, it’s far better than a broken marriage.

And you have that debt to conquer, a book to write, and a home to build! Plus guys of hotness to check out.

4. Jillian says:

I know I’m just echoing what other people said, but having been through divorce, I can say it’s probably better to realize someone is not who they hold themselves out to be BEFORE you start using his last name. I really admire your attitude -I was a mess for months when my marriage fell apart ;)

5. Caitlin says:

Hi Bri!

I’m sorry that things didn’t work out but I’m glad to hear that you’re forging on and looking forward to the future! :) Continued luck to you in all of your endeavors!

6. Colleen says:

I am so very sorry! I’ve been quietly following your blog…and love it! I’ve got that notch in my belt and I am speaking from experience, it’ll get better and there is some one even more “perfect” for you, around a corner! Sending happy thoughts…

7. Svasti says:

Sorry to hear your news. I too had a broken engagement, quite a few years ago now. And while it sucks, it’s definitely better to get out earlier rather than later. I knew I’d made the right decision when I saw photos of his children (he’d chased after the ex he had before me when we broke up) and I was relieved that we never had kids together!

But I doubt he’s a bad person. Just another human being doing the best he can and unfortunately it’s not always what works in a relationship.

I wish you a swift healing heart and all the best for this new phase in your life!

8. Melinda says:

I too have that notch on my belt. I’m now a very happily married woman and I cannot tell you how thankful I am for that broken engagement. You will be busy worrying about other things in your life and soon enough, the right man will find you.

9. Schare says:

I agree with everyone else that it is best that you realized it wasn’t going to work out now rather than later. I know sometimes it is easy to sound as if you are brushing them off without showing that it hurts. I have a great skill in that area. ; ) Keep your chin up, girly. You are a strong woman and just remember that everything happens in its own time.

Thank you so much, to all of you! I already knew I had the best friends and readers in the entire world, but at times like these, it really hits home :)

11. MelanieAt says:

*hugs* I’m so sorry to hear that. At least, you found out before anything more happened, and that’s ok. Take care of yourself, sweet heart!

12. Thanks for posting a link to that petition, just signed. Also, I’m going to “buck the system” and say congrats on the other subject. I’m not congratulating the icky stuff that goes along with a breakup, but I am congratulating your self-reliance and courage to stand firm with what you will, and won’t ,accept for yourself.

Good for you!

13. Bec says:

It takes my courage to break off something that isn’t working that stay in it. The easy route is to stay comfortable in the relationship and push the negative aside. So, I applaud you. A lot of people don’t have the strength to make that decision. I’m not saying it is easy, but it sounds like you continue to have your head on your shoulders.

14. Jenn says:

I am inspired by your strength, and the will to work your way out of your prior situation. Years from now you will thank yourself for ending this relationship, you will revel in what you have learned about yourself. Ending a relationship is never easy regardless of the circumstances.

You deserve only good things, you have opened people’s eyes to the truth behind being homeless. It is not by choice for many, and I have found myself also just a step away from it. Through strength I have struggled and found a way to keep my head just above water.

I am ashamed to say that I live in the same city as Rosa, and I think it is ignorant of the Regent’s board to disqualify her score. Here is a young adult striving for a better way, and the city just seems to want to keep her where she is. She deserves the shot to graduate…

Thank you for showing people what they didn’t want to see or know…

15. Lauri Shaw says:

Update: I just thought your readers might like to know that the petition appears to have worked. I signed the petition and a day or two later, got an email saying the Regents decision has been overruled and they will be allowing Rosa to graduate on time.

Thanks for directing us all to this story and its petition. It feels really good to know the world can sometimes be a just place after all.

Hooray!!! That’s wonderful news! I signed the petition as well, but haven’t received any email yet, so thank you for letting us know!

~Bri, along the lines of getting involved with people that we do not know very well & “fools going where angels fear to tread,”(my theme song) when I was 19, I was engaged to a 21 year old college student (& I had a lovely pear-shaped diamond engagement ring on my finger – which had actually belonged to the young woman he was engaged to before me – first RED FLAG!). We were watching Bonanza in my folk’s livingroom one evening, when he said, “Hey, let’s just elope” – HUH? (RED FLAG #2) I was thinking that I had at least a year to be engaged before really having to go through with the wedding. Instantly, I thought “If I say no, he will think that I don’t love him” (which I didn’t -RED FLAG MOTHER LOAD!). And, stupid, young, naive me, I jumped in the car with him & headed to Myrtle Beach. We were divorced a couple of torturous years later. He went on to get his PhD in psychology & became a Psycho-Sexual Marital Counselor (what?!). When he was on wife number three (whom he had counseled out of her marriage & into his arms – hmmm, isn’t there a law about this?) & after having two children with her, he ended up going out into his closed garage, taking a sleeping pill, smoking a cigarette, & turning on the gas. Sadly, that was the end for him.

Yup, thankfully, you are moving forward. I see greatness ahead!

May Mystery, Magic, & Miracles grace your path, Bri…
    Rev. Cynthia

18. Cristina M. says:

Hi Bri, I read about you in a Italian newspaper (La Stampa)..I think you’re really great, you can give energy and strenght to all your readers..(sorry for my bad and poor english). I wish you’ll have all the best things in Europe and a new wonderfull life:) If you’ll come near Milano please contact me, I’ll be’ your guide :D

Hi Cristina!

Wow, I didn’t know I was in La Stampa, thank you so much for letting me know :)

Europe has been lovely so far; I look forward to coming back and seeing much more of it! Italy is at the top of my all-time most-desired places to visit!

Thanks for your comment, so great to hear from you!

20. Nicole says:

I stumbled across your blog and consumed it in one large gulp. What is the most obvious to me is the fact you are intelligent, determined, resourceful, proactive, and disarmingly funny. Nothing that hasn’t been said above, but this too will pass, and you will, simply because of the person you are, get through this intact on the other side.

21. DivaD says:

B, you make me LOL!!!
    Keep on keepin’ on! I know you’re gonna be just fine.

22. Liam says:

I’m sorry to hear that. It would be better if those in the position will be considerate and understand the circumstances of her situtation.

23. Shanna says:

I’m sorry you guys broke up but it’s good to see you are still handling things. Where could one find that link about the false info on you? I am not surprised a journalist would still print something and find someone to give them answers that are 9 times out of 10 false. Look forward to your book coming out!

24. Candace says:

I am SOOO sad to read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I feel like I should’ve waited to read through all of your posts before writing a single comment. *sigh*

25. AmyKate says:

B,

Like some of your other responders, i too am a product of a broken engagement and i am now married to the man of my dreams and have a beautful son. The bastard that broke my heart left scars on my heart like im so sure your also feeling! But know that you take with you the (unfortunate ) lessons learned and you will be better for it. I promise! My life would have been a complete mess if the jerk hadnt left me! I know you dont belive in God and thats understandable but someone, some higher being (a guardian angel??) is looking out for you. I know in my heart you will be o.k. Good Luck and love your blog!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] tutto ciò è arrivato: un fiDanzamento [di cui, però ha annunciato la rottura nel suo ultimo post]; un fiNanziamento [a fine febbraio, infatti, il suo blog compirà un anno e i post migliori [...]