Elle.com, Associated Press Article, & Various Additional Madness

Note: Sept. 1st, the Girl’s Guide to Homelessness was down for about 6 hours.  Not sure if the server was overloaded by traffic or what, but I’m so sorry if you couldn’t get here!  Please feel free to come back again and comment/e-mail  :)

Hi all!

Elle.com has offered me the forum to blog on their website, in addition to my internship with E. Jean Carroll (which starts tomorrow over at AskEJean.com).  I hope to use it to continue advocating for homelessness, as well as addressing lighter topics along the line of fashion and lifestyle.  I have already caused something of a stir over there, it would seem, and a little controversy, which is fantastic – I care less about whether people love me or hate me, than I do about actually getting people talking about homelessness, and challenging prejudices, seeing the people and stories behind ridiculous slurs like “bum”.

Associated Press has just released an article on the story, so Matt and I are super-hyped about that, and bracing for whatever is to come.  This is all just overwhelming and insanity and has kind of sent me reeling, ever since I caught wind of it from an awesome blog called SaveTheAssistants.com.

I have received a TON of emails and comments from people who have been following the story, been inspired in some way, or had some concerns/questions.  Please know that I read each and every one and am in the process of responding – it’s a real mountain of stuff for me to wade through, along with everything else going on!

Thanks so much for your continued support, and for taking an interest in homelessness!

Cheers,

P.S.  Yes, I’m well aware that the photographer’s odd perspective in this pic makes Matt look like a Munchkin and Fezzik like a Black Lab, at biggest… They’re not.  Matt is actually much taller than me, and Fez is a beefcake with a big blocky head.

Comments

1. Tim Swett says:

Great to hear Bri! It sounds like you got work cut out for you! We know you can do it though! Through everything you have gone through, you’ll do fine! I’ll be sure to chat with you on Twitter!

–Tim

2. Kwaping says:

Congrats on the positive turns your life has taken lately! I came here from the AP article. I hope your server is able to handle the flood of traffic you’re about to get! :)

3. JT says:

Awesome awesome awesome! You’ll totally rock it, I’m sure.

4. Allen Farlow says:

Oh my gawd, a HUGE congratulations to you! I am truly happy for you! Way to go!

Life is what we make it…

5. Caitlin says:

Ok, completely random but that is an adorable photo! I love your shoes!

More on topic, I loved your article at elle.com and am so glad that you’re still going strong! Keep up the awesome work, lady! :)

6. Deborah says:

Just saw an article about you in the Canadian Globe and Mail newspaper….way to go!! I wish you all the best in your new job, and it’s pretty clear that good things are headed your way.

7. jennifermf says:

how adorable are you three??? (i’ve so got those cons, btw!)

i wish you the very best of luck with your internship!

8. vicki says:

Hey honey a lovely picture of you three musketeers together.
    Love the Converse honey & the top …
    I think it’s fantastic and you deserve it and most of all I hope you enjoy every moment of the internship and all that happens along the way

9. Hi Bri ~
    I don’t know where to begin. I found your website after reading your story on the front page of Yahoo!

I’ve been poking around on your blog for a bit now and I think you are fantastic! I am so going to be following you to see how this all plays out, but my instinct says this is just the beginning of great things for you.

Rock on!

10. daren deforrest smith says:

What a cool story! you will come out on top I’m sure with your great energy and mind set. Fez is a handsome devil, and you did good with that bloke Matt also! keep it going!!1

11. Heather says:

Hi Bri,

I just saw your story on Yahoo and thought I’d write and congradulate you on your intership. I am a single mother who is currently homeless. We live in Maine and are having a hard time. It’s hard to keep your head up when every one keeps turning you down. But, you have shown with a little tenasity you can turn a bad situation into something good. (sorry about the corny line) Thank you for giving me a little pick me up just when I needed it.

12. JENNIfer says:

congrats – where were you able to get the mobile home? i see so many homeless who don’t have a base of operations. i’m curious because i think they could do better if they had somewhere to go at the end of the day – i wish i could let them know where they could procure at least temporary shelter…..

13. Michael says:

Awesome story on MSNBC.com – loved reading it. Thanks for showing America that homeless really doesn’t mean hopeless! May God bless you.

14. ethan says:

Get some advertising on your website ASAP! I will click it (I am sure everyone else will too) and you will make money from this site in addition to your new media publicity hopefully getting you a non-blogging job.

15. Michael says:

I just read about your story via the Associated Press, I am amazed at your strength and courage, and I am glad to hear you got a job offer from Elle. Good luck to you and I look forward to reading your future blog posts!!

16. Carmen says:

Bri–
    WOW WOW WOW, that is so cool about the internship and even though I don’t know you I am already jealous :)
    I am a journalism/photography student right now in my last semester and have not taken advantage of any such internship—and after reading about you on MSNBC I know that even someone with not alot of money can land something cool and amazing such as you have.
    so CONGRATS and good luck.
    I have a photo blog if you are interested and want to check it out.

17. Chris says:

Lucky you! I found myself in the lock ward of a mental hospital in 1965 and since then my life has gone nowhere. I have often been homeless and I am about to be homeless again. Homelessness here is a crime. Or perhaps I should say that it has been criminalized. Not all homeless people are on drugs or alcohol. Two of my friends have just died in the past year from drugs and alcohol. I could die from insanaity … they tell me that I am in remission… well, that is when I asked for help in finding a place to live. I was living illegally in my car. Well, I was convicted of it and ordered out of North Hollywood and into some legal domain.

That is interesting… because I had been that route before. I used to go to AA meeting for the coffee and cookies. And, I tried to talk about being insane. But, a lot of alcoholics could relate to insanity. he he he But, when I needed a home … well, I was in remission… so I didn’t qualify for any program to help a person with psychological problems. I don’t do drugs. Drugs might have had something to do with my trouble in the first place. I stay away from them. But, I do drink or at the least I did until my circulation had slowed down or something. It feels like i have ingested cement if I have a drink… well lets say a good drink. So I didn’t qualify for programs helping drug addicts and alcoholics. I was just basically too poor to afford a place.
    Let me tell you there is a whole lot of hype about doing something about the homeless problem … I read a few years ago of a facility opening with 500 beds. I read about it because they were fighting over it being any place near them. So I don’t actually know where those 500 beds went. But, I assume that they went to women with small children. What I mean by that is that there are more than enough women out there with children to fill a few small facilities.
    I have the VA being as I am a veteran. That is where they took care of me. I was there for 3 days while they figured out if I qualified for anything.
    I got to say that I am all for cleaning up the stigma. I just don’t know any other place to start but on myself. I should probably be locked up forever so people won’t imagine what I will do and because I am not sure myself what I would do if I lost my mind.
    I learned a lot actually when I was going to the AA meetings. The thing about stay away from slipery places. A relationship with a girl is usually a slipery place for me. I mean, even a mother’s love. I hate to bring mother into this… Having an insane son for a mother is something like a Christmas tree getting run over by a locomotive going full speed. Mom was blown away. And, mother had her own troubles. We did the best that we could and I took care of her until the doctors said that I couldn’t… kind of like my insanity catching up to her in a real way. When I tried trully to help I found that people don’t want to deal with me.
    Now with mom gone and being evicted from the apartment we shared together after the HMO decided she needed to be in a care homed… there is no help but also there is no slippery place anymore. So. there is a kind of freedom. It is like a freedom that perhaps nobody wants. I am going to take what I can get.
    I think that I am about to be evicted again. I have a room in the back of a store that I pay the man who runs a business in the front for. It is not really a room but the storage area behind the part of the store that he uses and then a recording studio. So I am a little isolated and also not quite as nice as the rest of the store.
    The man used to money I pay to get himself an air conditioner and then he raised my rent to accomadate the higher electric bills. My room is not air conditioned. It is considered the storage area that whay he has on the rental contract… I have to fix it myself I want it fixed. I found out that I pay just about half of the rent for the whole store and half of what the recording studio pays.
    It is too hot to be in the room in the middle of the day.
    I am not sure what I am feeling but being in this crapy room or space that is not a room is so much better than what you have to put up with as a homeless person that I am savoring what might be my last few days as a tennant. The next few day should tell how it is going to go.
    I fell asleep there I don’t sleep so well even when the room cools down at night . The heat just never disapates. I am swating as much at 4 a.m. as I do in the afternoons. If fact now with the door opened it is not bad. Not bat at all.
    I was learning Japanese on line but now the moderator has kicked me off the site. I have been using it for 3 years so it is a little odd to be booted. But, my apartment I had for 12 years until the sons decided they need more rent after their father died. I was there for a few years alone in a big two bedroom after mother died.
    The old man was a decent sort but even he couldn’t help but lick his chops at the rent he could get if I were out of the biggest apartment at that address. I was trying to get someplace where I felt some control of my life. I was thinking of starting a busness selling used books or fixing computers. Or a combination of them both. But, I could get that idea to float… I had the books… one of the reasons I was evicted. Also I had a collection of old computers. Anyway… I have a book now that says to plan your financial future look over your assests and see what you are suited for. I have been wasting time learning Japanese. I mean, I have made some progress… but, I don’t see any money in it. I think of things like writing poetry or selling books or drawing pictures of nudes… I used to be pretty good at it. I done all sorts of jobs. But, I am thinking of something like you have been able to land. Maybe an advance on a novel that I will never have to write.
    I threw all my art stuff away when I left Hollywood for the streets of Los Angeles. I couldn’t see lugging all that stuff around. I gave all myart supplies to a girl I knew who liked to draw. I threw away my drawings and stuff. I have the pages for a couple of novels in some envelopes that will probably see the trash. I had a freind before who had saved my writing for me. But she has a new life … and my blog is gone now… I always seem to end up with nothing. I was thinking today that I have my sanity. Ha ha ha but I am not so sure about that. In fact, I rather doubt us all.

That leaves God. I want to say that as a homeless person I have had a closer walk with Jesus. And, a lot of other gods and holy men. Having nothing gives you an insight. You can read about it in plenty of literature and scripture.

I don’t think I would want to be on the staff of a magazine for the homeless. I mean, if there were to be such a magazine. I think I am just going to study Japanese as best I can. They were joking yesterday with Andrew about bitter milk… and the word relates to Buddhism and giving up the world. Here it is… Bindou A Buddhist monk が自分をへりくだっていう語… a word a Buddhist monk used to humble himself. A poor man’s path.

18. Pagbati mula sa Pilipinas! (Greetings from the Philippines!)

I am Zobel Certeza, 27 years old and a full-time Technical Writer at a U.S. Software firm outsources here in Makati, City. I read your story at Yahoo! a few minutes ago. I am thankful that I started this work week reading an inspiring story of courage. I admire your passion to reach your dreams and your desire to make a change on how people perceive you as a person and as a member of society.

I hope to read more from you and your column at Elle!

Congratulations! :D

19. Svasti says:

Bri, I’m so pleased for you and Matt. You deserve a break – congrats on the Elle blog position!! :D

P.S. You didn’t mention the status of things with the camper?

20. K says:

Bri-

I like so many stumbled across your blog from the front page of Yahoo. Your story and your spunk has given me hope in a quite dreary part of my life. I am not homeless, though I feel like it. I am 23 living with my parents after being on my own since graduating high school. Through some bad relationship choices I made, the economy, and lack of student loans being handed out (go citibank for getting bailed out and me still having to pay them 600 a month yet not able to receive any more money) I had to leave school in my senior year 17 hours from a degree and start working full time. I left my house in the city where I went to school with 3 bucks in my account, bills out the whazoooo, and no job to move back in with my parents (who by the way are going through a gnarly divorce).

With all that said, you are an inspiration. I appreciate the fact that you have such an upbeat outlook on life even when it hands your spoiled lemons(Wal-Mart). I will continue following you (due to a lack of friends and funds). I hope tomorrow is great for you. I hope you land a great job. I also hope this starts a semi- grass roots movement to shape our country’s perspective on homelessness, the economy and mostly the lack of opportunity out there for those of us who want to work.

My sincerest hopes and congradulations~

K

21. Lynn says:

Congratulations!!! :) I wish you the best of luck!

22. Keiran says:

Hi Bri – just read your story in the Sydney Morning Herald (Australia) and just wanted to pass on my congrats!

I run a blog that covers topics including homelessness for an Australian not-for-profit org and its great to hear that your blogging has been so succsssful.

All the best and keep up the great writing!

Keiran

23. Congrats! Can’t wait to read you more!

24. MgM says:

First, Congrats! You deserve this and it looks like you worked so hard for this opportunity.

It’s good to hear a success story which is so rare these days. You sound like a strong, intelligent lady w/integrity who has so much to offer by way of good advice on survival skills, etc. That is very valuable in todays world.

I don’t want to sound too meddling or not give unwanted advice, but what about moving to a less expensive state like Utah, Oregon or even less expensive states like Georgia, Alabama, N.Carolina, Indiana, etc? There, people can actually live in a modest house/condo/apartment on a 40K a year salary (it might not be a 3000 sq ft house, but you can get something bigger than a studio apartment. In Calif., the minimum people have to earn to live in a house must be like 80,000 or so. Of course, salaries are a bit lower in those states mentioned, but it’s easier to get your own house. I used to live in Calif. but moved due to the high costs of living.

It’s a horrible shame to have homeless people in the world’s richest country. Organizations like Habitat for Humanity can only do so much. The politicians & society in general need to focus on homelessness more, because most people want a chance to work and not live on the streets.

You are proof homelessness can happen to even the best and the brightest and hard working people. In other words, anyone can become homeless through no fault of their own. I truly believe you and others in your position deserve a better chance at life for a better future.

25. michael l schmidt says:

god loves u bri and so do i .good luck and a life time of joy and good fortune thank u bri. god has a special plan for u listen often for his whispers,with love,michael.

26. i am new using the computer bri. i pray that u will receive this message. slinkymls@gmail.com

27. message above hope u receive it bri,with love michael.

28. Laurel says:

Bri-
    I just found your blog on the front page of yahoo, & just wanted to wish you congrats & good luck- your story is so inspiring, and you courage amazes me!

laurel x

29. Brandon M says:

“Homeless people don’t use the Internet, they don’t write blogs, they’re not webmasters and they don’t use Twitter…”

I’ve been homeless for about a year or two now, and I own a car (where I pretty much sleep in), and I have a netbook! My favorite place to use the internet… STARBUCKS! Or college campuses…. lol great stuff u got here, hopefully i find a job soon!

30. Brandon M says:

forgot to add, that I’m a webmaster and own a hosting company!

31. Chris Mollo says:

I just read your story on MSNBC. I think it’s wonderful that somebody who finally deserves somrthing good to happen happen to them got their wish. I came close to being homeless after being laid off in May. There was some snafu with Arizona unemployment and I still haven’t gotten a check. I lost my apartment and my car because of it. If it hadn’t been for my parents I’d be on the street right now. It’s not the best situation but I’m thankful to have a roof over my head. It makes me feel good to hear stories like this. It makes me feel hopeful again. GooBest of luck to you.

32. Rachel says:

Hi Bri,

I just read the article about you on Yahoo and I wanted to congratulate you! You are a truly inspiring individual and I wish you all the happiness and success in the world :)

All the best,
    Rachel

33. Thomas says:

Your story is so touching! I was homeless not long ago. After I split up with my unfaithful wife I found myself living in my car. No place to call home or to have a bed to sleep in. I was already making Squidoo lenses and from that I started making them for other people. It took off from there! Now I have a home and a whole new life.
    Good luck to you on your internship. I know you will do very well because you have strength!

34. cathryn says:

Hey,
    what an inspiration for all of us. I am an artist, suffer from depression and life seems hopeless many days. I am not homeless in the physical sense, just in the mental.
    Stories like this help me thru the day and nights.
    Gives me that so needed “mental” home.
    much love and god bless.

35. Leah says:

Yours is the best story I’ve heard in the contracted state this country has been in over the 2 years the squeeze has been on. Your courage in the face of adversity, highlighting a reality that has affected countless that are struggling to reconcile extreme reversals, is an inspiration and an important contribution in giving a face and a voice to all too human, often unheeded, dilemmas. By simply speaking your story you will (advertently or inadvertently) speak for many (naturally).

Best wishes on your first day on the job with E. Jean at Elle and may blessings, epiphanies, reconciliations and serendipity continue to pave your way.

Hang on and stay grounded ;)

L

36. Dave says:

You might try a Credit Union. mine let’s me keep $5.00 to keep the acct. open. And have saved enough at times to buy a used car. As for your Electric problem. You might want to look in to Solar Power.

37. You are well just awesome (((HUG)))

38. Rachael says:

Hi,

I live in brunei, Borneo. Just to say congrats and keep on going!

39. Susan says:

Ok, so here I sit, teaching a computerclass, surfing the net. After my husbands company hit low time, we started looking for alternative housing, as my salary as a teacher alone do not cover all expenses.

And here I read your story! Today is Sept 1, good luck, keep it up, you are inspiring to ALL, not even homeless -

Susan
    Pretoria
    South Africa

40. Daydah says:

Hullo Bri,
    Just read a\bout you on yahoo. Glad some good can actually come out of a regluarly updated blog. Wish you all the best there is out there. Now that you have a job, pls never forget where you are coming from. Reach out to other ‘bums’ [joke intended]. And pls increase the number of cuddles and hugs for Matt.
    From Africa with Love,
    Daydah

41. Oh one more thing go to google adsense and get an account that way you can get a few ads and make a few bucks as people click on them. Now that so many thousands or more people know your blog you could make a small mint, i hope you get stupidly rich you deserve it although I have to say you sound rich after all its not money that makes people rich. My best Chas

42. Cathy says:

Hello Bri,

I read your story on yahoo. Way to go! Good luck on your 1st day at Elle. Do your best! Keep us updated on your 1st day. I hope everything turns out well for you (and Matt).

Take care.

Cathy
    From the Philippines

43. muyiwa says:

i red your story just now on yahoo,good luck and keep it up

44. jean says:

I almost cried when I read your story in yahoo; well, that’s where I knew about you, they featured your story as a “modern day fairytale”. In a brief one- or two-liner description they gave about you, I was sort of inspired and touched, and realized that we do live in a different time now, facing a kind of “same old brand new” problems.
    You’re right, being homeless doesn’t have to mean being drug addict or bum, it’s just the reality many people are put through and have to face without a choice… in time of economic crisis, when everything costs too much and life is being just so hard. I feel kind of guilty actually, because I am not homeless and perhaps have more resources (if I only know how to utilize them well), but just like you, I am unemployed right now and would always go to Starbucks, get a single drink that’s good for half a day or so, and laptop away. But comparing to your 30-40 resumes a day, I think I only send about 10 or more a day, besides being disctracted with facebooking and other unproductive online activities… and that’s what I am guilty of, that I don’t put more effort than I should. So after reading your story, I feel very inspired to go on, never give up, and push harder with my applications. Good luck with your changing luck and may you continue being an inspiration to others.

45. melisa says:

I learned about your beautiful story via Yahoo. You are so amazing and inspiring!

46. Norm Thompson says:

So did you ever get your truck and trailer back?? Don’t you just love the way towing company’s make sure you are never able to get your stuff back?
    A friend of mine was in an accident(He was not at fault) and his car was towed, being a machanic he went to the tow company to get his tools out of the trunk so he could go to work, and Lo and Behold his tools were gone. Of course the trunk was locked and the only people with keys was, Yup, you guessed it, The Towing Company!! Needless to say he lost his job, and in a few short months he was close to homeless, so my wife and I moved in with him and made the rent for the next three years while he sued the piss outta the people responsible for the accident and the towing company. Of course all partys involved NEVER paid a dime and my friend died in a VA hospital completely broke and without insurance

47. Beck says:

You are truly putting a new face on homelessness and drawing attention to what it really amounts to these days. It’s a whole new culture of living and you are part of it. You have the gift and the burden of calling it into National focus more than ever by having Yahoo show the story. I hope you obtain great opportunites from this offer with E. Jean and it leads you to great and inspiring work. I think I will email the Nightly News and suggest they cover your story. I will follow your blog and see how it all turns out. Wishing you the best.

48. Syed Husain says:

Life is tough, more so for some. Keep your chin up, I’m sure better times are just around the corner, good luck!

49. Cheryl says:

Bri,

I too found your story on Yahoo. Congrats hun! I am amazed at your strength and have a feeling this is just the beginning for you! It makes me take a closer look at the things we take for granted. I agree with Beck, you have put a new face on homelessness. It has definitely opened my eyes and made me more understanding! Your story is truly very inspiring and I wish the very best for you!
    Good Luck and best wishes!!!!

50. lucas says:

you go goodlookin girl!!! i hope everything works just great for you!!!

51. suz says:

Congrats! and I love your matching green shoes/sweater…. nice coordination. I want to add that your courage and positivity are very inspiring. After all it is our struggles that define us…..

52. Lynn Walker says:

Bri,

Congratulations! I am so excited to read your story as I am a spiritual counselor and intuitive life coach…this just reaffirms what I teach, that we can change our lives from the inside out just by our thinking!

You never gave up..you had a vision for yourself and you made that vision a reality by taking whatever action you needed to take. Even just a small step forward is enough.

The truth is that you don’t need to know HOW to get somewhere, you just need to DECIDE to get there and start doing the next right thing that is in front of you.

I cannot wait to see where this leads.

I would very much like to offer my assistance to you and your friends as a way to give back. I have had a very tough time in this economy but my work is my passion and a gift from God, so I will continue with my vision. Please feel free to contact me through my website and I will give you whatever I can to help you in your journey.

Blessings, Lynn

53. Silvia says:

Bri,

I just read your story and I think you are a great and courageous person and a voice telling the story of a lot of people. You are going to make it girl! Good luck!!!

Silvia

54. SB says:

you go girl! you may be down but your not out…i feel your struggle and i wish you and your blogging career the best and keep your head up no matter what.

Laguna Niguel

55. eLeesa says:

I just read about you on msn.com and had to say thank you for being such a feisty, never-say-die kind of girl! My 11 year old daughter and I are survivors of an attack upon my by my “then unrealized psychopathic” husband. She was barely 7 at the time and she saved my life by dialing 911. Long story. It’s been a struggle, but we are not quitters. We still do have a roof over our heads (very barely) but that’s THIS MONTH. I look forward to reading your blog and am glad I found it. I started a group, five years ago, on eBay, called MOMS mentoring MOMS. It was before the sh*t unexpectedly hit the fan in our lives. It has grown to over 600 members and one thing I like to do is post favorite quotes. I love, LOVE the answer you received “you don’t GET another chance, you TAKE one.” I’m going to post that on my eBay forum, as well as the link to the article I read and your blog. You story is an inspiration. I’ve been thinking of blogging about making ends meet (sort of!) by using my frugal tips to maintain a deceivingly abundant lifestyle in the face of poverty. I hope you morph from an agnostic athiest, because I think God answered your prayer. Way to go, girl! And hi to your friend and pooch! I’ve got two, and it’s scary chronically facing homelessness as the owner of two big pooches (a standard poodle and a golden retriever). I say go with the celebrity offer to work as an animal activist. That’s definitely where MY heart lies! But that’s just me. And that’s ANOTHER story! Take care and I’m so happy for you! Leesa and Olivia

56. Janel says:

Well done on the internship and keeping such a positive attitude!

Like a few others, I came from the AP article & I think your followers are about to multiple like you wouldn’t believe!

57. eLeesa says:

YOUR story is an inspiration, not YOU story is an inspiration. I hate it when I do that!

HAVE A GREAT SEPTEMBER 1!

Leesa and Olivia

58. eLeesa says:

Ugggh! An attack upon ME … not an attack upon MY. I should proofread! Leesa and Olivia again (for the last time today!). I think …

59. Cattt says:

i just read ur story on Yahoo. God Bless and good luck!

60. Theresa Sullivan says:

Bri – talk about serendipity in the finest way! Nothing like this has ever happened to me on such a large scale. Sincere good luck.

I’m unemployed but still on the DOL. Have help from family so I can make mortgage payments and car payments. Pick up odd jobs, volunteer, and started a dance class among other things.

I like your list of freebies to do, I’ve been doing that for years! One thing you can add is VOLUNTEER. There is an organization for every taste, help people, animals, the world, nature…all to be found at the public library.

One more fantastic way to network. If this has already been mentioned – pardon the duplication.

Good luck with your new gigs!

61. Ashwin says:

Congrates Guys……… I read in yahoo………..
    It feel great when you give your valuable thoughts and suggestions to a actual needy persons……

-Ashwin

62. Cassie says:

Yay! Congratulations sweetheart. I’m so happy for you. *hugs* from Canada.

63. raym says:

whhhooooo go go go bri….now your story just reach the other side of globe….and we admire the spirit you had in you…..good luck! good luck! good luck! – raym from Philippines

64. Holland says:

Congratulations to YOU! I found my way here after reading your story on msn.com (apparently you’re making the internet rounds today). Am I allowed to use a cheesy phrase like “triumph of the human spirit” because that’s definitely what comes to mind. Thank you for being a “glass is half full” kind of person and making the most of your situation because it really is refreshing. :)

65. trisha says:

I saw the article today from a friend. I am also very involved in social media, and thankfully, not homeless. However I wanted to reach out and say thank you for being an inspiration, never giving up, and I am glad I found your blog. We list blogs for free on the main part of my site, so please come over and list yours so others can find you!

I cant wait to keep up with your story as it unfolds.

Trisha
    momdot.com/blog

66. Gina says:

Bri,

Congratulations on your great opportunity. You have one thing that many people have been lacking for a while…hope. I believe that your great attitude will get you through the lean times and I think that you will have a great job before you know it. Keep the faith! I love your dog!

67. Devon says:

Bri-
    You are truly an inspiration! I wish you the best of luck- and always remember- everything happens for a reason.

I’m sure your good times are right around the corner!

Best,
    Devon

68. NickEmForrest says:

Dude,
    if for no reason other than I read about you in the Sarasota Herald Tribune, I know that money or at least a positive change is on the way….as if you didn’t know this.

69. Leslie says:

Brie and Matt,
    Found you on Yahoo this morning. You both have totally and completely inspired me to keep going after my dreams courageously!! What an amazing attitude and spirit you all have. Love it!! If you lived in my area I’d give you both a job and a place to live!! Keep on going…Les

Howdy, Bri & Matt~
    I adore the family photo!

Hey Matt, here we’ve been corresponding all this time & I had no idea what you looked like. WILD! By the way you’re not too bad on the eyes ~ what a darling couple you two make!

That sweater is FABU, Bri!!! You do, indeed, have a gift with fashion.

Looks like “The Girls Guide to Homelessness” now has a world beat to it, Bri- BRAVO!!!

I can only imagine where the heck this grand adventure is taking ya’ll next!

Thanks for keeping us in-the-loop.

Mystery, Magic, & Miracles along the journey,

Rev. Cynthia

71. Lyne from Nova Scotia says:

Hi! I just read an article about you in the Associated Press on Canoe.ca. I have to say it’s amazing what you’ve done and I think it’s a really important thing that you’re doing by giving a face to homelessness – one that looks like me and everyone else.
    Good luck with your internship and finding a job!

72. -Aadarsh says:

All i can say is, WOW !..hats off to you Bri…!! ….i hope they make a movie on this episode of your life….:-)

73. FAB! That is really great! I found you through a post on twitter. I have to say I was in tears reading the story. You are so right, Americans especially think of the homeless as people who took unessary risk, are ill, addicted, lazy or worse. I can’t imagine the fear and uneasiness living in a Walmart parking lot w/no job.. thtthank god for Fezzik! He was alway s the hero right?! No But it seems you found your miracile max too. YEAH to Elle for seeing your tallent and the reach your story has. I blog, I’m not homeless but I know blogging is a great tool. Look what it did for you. BEST of luck and I’ll be cheering for the both of you!

74. Siobhan says:

Just like to say best of luck to the both of you.

My husband and I married in February, and because of a tanking job market lived with his parents for a few months before we found our feet and got an apartment.

I have Bachelors, he a Masters degree, both of us are intelligent, hard working people and we looked hard but the goods jobs simply weren’t out there. We worked internships, we worked part time, I had three jobs at one stage.

If we hadn’t had reliable and supportive family, we would have been homeless. End of Story.

75. Icebergs says:

“Hey, I wish you the best of luck and keep your head up.”

“How are you doing? My name is Jordan and I was looking at your page and I was just wanting to tell you I wish you the best and I hope you keep doing the things you are doing.”

“Hey this is Mr. Kevin and I was just passing by your page and just wanted to wish you the best.”

76. Bri,

I’m so impressed by you! I read your initial letter to E. Jean and was pulling for you then. Yesterday, I was able to check out the AP article about you. I’m so glad to see the turn of events that have occurred. In fact, I blogged about you – http://everydaybabysteps.onsugar.com/4584200. I look forward to seeing all you’re able to do in your work toward homeless advocacy!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Mary

77. MiMi says:

Congratulations! I’ve only just heard about you, but I can see that you will go far with the issue of homelessness. Much success to you and kudos for E. Jean Carroll for choosing you.

78. christine says:

This may not be in line with your other admirers. But I wanted to post this comment: There are shelters where you can go, women’s shelters. I was homeless before and found a shelter where I went and got lots and lots of help. There are super nice people who would help you, if you wanted real help.
    It seems to me that you are enjoying the attention and the possible donations of money that you receive from this blog. Homelessness isn’t an issue to celebrate and make money from. It’s a serious issue. And if you are really homeless as you say you are, then you should get to a shelter.
    I read this blog before and saw that you had a job at some time. And now your still interviewing, that’s confusing to me. I don’t know you personally. But it seems to me that you have a psychological disorder that you aren’t getting help for. And expecting Wal-Mart to allow you to live in your trailer in their parking lot isn’t too sane.
    At some point in this blog you were writing about buying a house. Again, this seems weird. Homeless people have not money, if they did, they wouldn’t be homeless. So why were you writing about buying a home? And were you expecting money thru Paypal donations?
    I find your behavior to be exploitative of others.
    Not once in your blog have I seen that you are really trying to get help. I’ve known and met quite a lot of homeless people who continue to be homeless because they refuse help, either psychological or in terms of a real shelter. And most of them (the chronically homeless too) have a sense of entitlement. That is, they think that everyone owes them a living or something else.
    I think you are gaining recognition and notoriety by being homeless, as if it’s something to be proud of, it isn’t. I’ve been there before and I know for sure that it isn’t something to do in order to make money. There isn’t anything noble or fun about the issue of homelessness. And you are trying to make your homeless situation into almost something to joke about.
    As I said, if you wanted to end the homeless situation (if you really are homeless), then you would. But I think that you don’t want to have to live by rules. Hence, the issue that you had with your trailer being towed by Wal-Mart. (And I am not even a fan of Wal-Mart). Living in a real resident or even a shelter would mean that you would have to live by rules, and I think that you don’t want to do that. My advice to you (not that you are going to take my advice since you have so many people admiring you for supposedly being homeless), is to grow up and and stop with your sense of entitlement. When you are an adult one day, and you’ve been homeless for so long, you aren’t going to think it’s very funny or fun. You may be having fun with it now, but that won’t last forever.
    Get on with your life and learn how to be an adult.

79. Peter Smithe says:

This post is for Christine post #77 Stop hateing and find something better with your time. And get back on your meds, stop drink your food you are a simpleton.

80. monique says:

I just wanted to say I just started readng Bri’s blog about homelessness. As I am one of those single mothers in Tampa with a teenage son who IS homeless.We struggle daily. With alot of things. I have endlessly tried getting a job. I got turned down for public assistance. Sanctioned until Nov.1. I didn’t get into trouble with the system to cause the sanction. I merely wasn’t available for an appointment because I did not KNOW about it as I had left the state on a family emergency. A year later and much drama later and trying to survive with my son? We decided to come home to Florida. I gave up a home, a car, a cat and all our worldly possessions to help one of our own and I come back to stay away from the drama, and attempt to start over? And get met with one obstacle after another. I can’t go back to school. I already owe on a student loan. Not elgible for rental assistance. Shelters here? In Tampa they are a joke. You have to be an alcoholic, a prostitute, a drug addict or mentally deranged in order to get in. One requires you have a job. OR be on cash assistance. Salvation Army? After 5 nights they charge you $10 a night. One shelter ONLY caters to alcoholic men? There is no where to go. I don’t have a car so I can’t live in a car. Don’t even have a bike. We’ve lost everything along the way and now we’re down to a backpack a piece? And my 7 year old laptop. I applied for a few jobs off of Craiglist. Once I got spooked by a vice cop who thought I was prostituting. I actually ONLY showed up for what I thought was a job interiew. I lived with one man who wanted more than just a roommate after 3 days. One other who had rats the size of small kitten in the house and it was littered with garbage all over. One that had roaches everywhere and all he wanted was sex as well. I have run out of options. I’ve tried everything I could to generate even the smallest amount of cash. My son is homeschooled because he does not want to be teased at 15 for being homeless. All he has to war is his sandals anyway. No tennis shoes. I cut his hair myself because we couldn’t afford to take him to a barber.

I cry everyday. Iworry every day. I can’t eat without getting sick. I’ve begged for a job. Pleaded for help. My own family of which I DID help that started all of this? Won’t help! So I don’t know what to do. I have nothing to wear for a job interview. Jeans and flip flops? I don’t know what else to do when even the social service agencies and the churches won’t help.

Is there anything? A light at the end of the tunnel? Can I make it stop hurting? I’d really love to have a life again?

81. Tracy O'Hara says:

Christine
    I too was homeless at one time and all though u were lucky enough to find shelter and get help not all can and do They also limit that help do your homework and I see u still need more help. You are a very bitter person and need to find whats wrong wihtin u and get it out. go on with your life and leave her and others alone. May you fine inner peace.

82. Linda says:

I think that everyone needs to realize that people have different views about homelessness. It would seem to me that calling a person “bitter” because they state their opinion almost makes this blog an undemocratic forum. I too find it appalling that the owner of this blog has been asking for and receiving money thru Paypal. And all the while waving her “I’m homeless” flag. It truly reeks of a sense of entitlement beyond what I think is normal.

83. Judy says:

I love the cute little colorful avatars that appear in every comment.

In regards to the issue of homelessness. California is the worst place for the amount of homeless people. The rising cost of rent and real estate is completely ridiculous. Due to greed it’s impossible to live here. I am moving out of State soon. Maybe sooner that planned. Losing jobs is another reason for homelessness.

And with that, we all need to keep in mind that the issue is serious. As serious as anything, and it’s being ignored.

BUT, this doesn’t meant that one should take advantage of it.

84. I just read the AP article in my local newspaper. You’re an amazing human – I wish you all the fortune the world has to offer. I’m so happy to have found your blog!

85. Holly says:

I read the article in my local paper today and I couldn’t help but be outraged at the fact that your british ‘boyfriend’ is living with you. i’m assuming illegally.

i am midway through the immigration process for my british husband and the hoops that the government makes us jump through because of people like you and your boyfriend is outrageous.

i hope that the government catches wind of him living in the country with no job and with you unable to support him and that he gets kicked out and banned from further entry.

Dear Holly,

While I appreciate your fine commitment to legality, please be assured that Matt is visiting, not living here, and is doing so legally on the visa waiver program. He has visited America (and returned to the UK) once prior. This is his second visit. He has a valid return flight ticket and will be returning in about a month. My boyfriend is no longer homeless himself and is free to spend his money traveling and visiting whom he pleases, on his valid passport.

Would I be correct to assume that your husband and you visited one another prior to being married? If so, you will of course be aware of the 90-day visa waiver program between our respective countries.

Always nice to speak to such an empathic and understanding individual, of course.

Best Regards,
    Brianna Karp

87. linsey says:

i work with homeless as a profession. so i enjoy reading your blog. my boss hooked me up with it. i am a homeless programs coordinator and so i do events in my town for homeless individuals and families. i have lived with my children in my car and have been there and done that. i like your work, you are very good with words. so i enjoy reading your adventures. thanks for putting the word out there. people are people and should be loved no matter what. thanks for the help .. keep it up . linsey

88. Renee Envall says:

Hey Bri,

I saw your story on CNN and really liked your funny quirky attitude and outlook on life. I am in need of an assistant that can assist me with administrative duties as well as social networking for our company. We are a start up company and will be launching in October 2009. P/T salary starts at $15 per hour + commission (sorry I wish it was more but can be more after 60 days) and you can work off-site a couple of days a week. Please call me know if you’re interested (no pressure)and l give you more details about our company.

All the Best,

Renee Envall
    VP, Brand Marketing
    The Peek-A-Boo Boutique, An Anjen Company
    14252 Culver Drive
    Suite #A298
    Irvine, CA 92604
    T +01 949 707 3800
    M +01 562 900 6600
    F +01 949 559 5564
    W http://www.thepeekaboo.com
    E renee@anjencorp.com

89. stacey says:

Ha ha — I bet this 90-comment thing is a little different than when you first began!

I’ve been sitting here for a few hours reading from the beginning. Though I live in Washington State, where we’ve been a little more insulated from the economic downturn, many of my family in Cali have been hit hard. They never thought they’d be in such tight circumstances either.

I loved reading about you and Matt, partially because your story sounds so much like mine. My now-husband and I were friends for a couple of years when we began college, and then lost touch for six years. Then a mutual friend gave him my blog address. Then the emails and IM began and then the phone-battery-killing conversations… we were married six months later (and that was nearly three years ago). It’s amazing to fall in love with somebody over shared words. That connection, from what I’ve seen, doesn’t fade.

I’ll be visiting regularly, and wish you both all the best.

Cheering for you!
    Stacey

90. Jamie says:

For Monique-the single mother with a homeless son: file an appeal with DHS,ask for a Case Review or a Fair Hearing in writing of your sanctioned case. A Case Review is quicker with your caseworker, but a Fair Hearing takes longer and may get better results. Get a PO Box to receive mail. They cost about 30 for 6 months, or go to one of those package mailing places or payday loan places and rent a box by the month or week-sometimes cheaper. DHS has emergency food bags-filled with oatmeal, pudding, dry milk& you can only get it once a month-food banks in Tampa-get a homeless food bag-take the bus to get there-get a voucher for bus at a shelter-if youu have no driver’s license, you can get a State ID card so you can rent a PO Box. Churches uually have clothing and food banks, sometimes even meals once a week. There is hope at the end of the tunnel-I know I made it.

Trackbacks

1. [...] further research, this endeavor actually appears to be an internship, one that I am sure will lead to many incredible new opportunities – for her, others with [...]

2. [...] further research, this endeavor actually appears to be an internship, one that I am sure will lead to many incredible new opportunities – for her, others with [...]